2022. A transitory year. A year to make up for lost time, save time, to fit more time into every hour. A year of waiting, for “normal” to return, for freedom, for fears to subside. A year where we experienced both the best and the worst of humanity. A year filled with hurt, and atrocities. Tragedies and heartbreak. But, also a year filled with the kindness of strangers, and smiling faces and hopeful hearts. A year in time, to remember, to take stock and a time to make changes before it’s too late.
Thank you 2022, you too were filled with lessons (tears and laughter) and they went a little something like this:
1. Time doesn’t change anything. You do. Stop waiting to “just get through” this week, this month, this year, for things to get better, slow down or to allow for a little time for you. The days pass in a blur and a blink, and if we do not consciously commit to ourselves, to our own self-care, we will soon enough find ourselves burnt out and buried under a pile of self-recriminations. Fill your cup. Even if it’s just for 10 minutes at a time. Self care is a practice. Keep going til you get it right.
2. You can’t force the people you love to let you in. We all carry baggage. Some of it we display openly in brightly coloured suitcases and some we tuck away in the folds of our coats. Sometimes we have to take a step back and love people from the heart, even if physically we remain very far apart. Love is never in vain. The invisible string will always remain.
3. Sometimes getting older is hard to accept. Even though we know it’s a privileged denied to many, we still have days where we look in the mirror inspecting the fine lines and silver hairs and wish we could turn back the proof of time. I say proof because would we really want to turn back time? Erase the moments, the memories, the collection of everything that has made us who we are? I think not. So here’s to finding joy in the proof, of the passage of time. Of savoring a season secure in who I am, regardless of the packaging. We will never be thin enough, fit enough, pretty enough, happy enough until we wholeheartedly, embrace that we are enough, exactly as we are.
4. Purpose looks different when you change your perspective. Impact, change and making a difference can take many forms. Be open. Always be ready to learn. And when something feels uncomfortable – push though. What is life if not an ever-changing kaleidoscope of opportunity and beauty?
5. Trust your gut. That’s all. Trust it. No matter what.
6. Love is not enough. Relationships in every form need nurturing, commitment, compromise and above all acceptance. Talk. Have the difficult conversations. Connect. Stay tethered to those who hold you to account and be the kind of friend and partner you would wish for your child, sister, brother, best friend. It’s much easier to sleep at night without a heart full of should have, could have, would haves.
7. Parenting is an extreme sport. The stakes have never been higher, nor has the reward ever been greater. If you wonder daily if you are getting it all wrong – chances are you are getting a lot of it right. And no – there’s absolutely no way to love a child too much. Be their safe space. This world is far scarier than the one we grew up in. But there is still so much light. The more we love, the more light we create.
8. Being right is far less important than being happy. Find peace in letting go. Being right is never worth losing people (or sleep) over. We all have our own path to walk. Focus on your journey and let others do the same. Be kind. Be mindful. And be forever hopeful.
9. Be agile. Be adaptable. And DO NOT COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Fortune favours the brave but success is the result of grit and belief.
10. Like attracts like. The more time you make, the more time you will have. The more love you give, the more you shall receive. The more you do, the more your capacity will increase. Manifest more of what you want to experience in the world.
Here’s to raising vibrations. Setting intentions and going forth and kicking ass. 202(free)3 is going to be magical and I am so here for it!
One thought on “10 Lessons from 20-True…”
So beautifully written from the heart 💜